Terms and conditions
These terms and conditions apply to West Sussex Drains Ltd’s Domestic, Commercial and Emergency drainage services. This document tells you everything you need to know about the terms and conditions on which we operate.
The term “you” refers to the customer, user or viewer of our website.
1. Primarily, it is our intention that this document contains all the terms of the agreement between us, including details of the services and any goods or materials we may provide. Please contact us if you have any queries or do not accept any of the provisions included in this document.
2. West Sussex Drains Ltd uses its own employees and suitably qualified independent contractors to provide West Sussex Drains’ services.
3. Please note that independent contractors have no authority to incur liability on behalf of, or to act as agent for, West Sussex Drains Ltd or any of their licensees.
4. Our quotations are valid for 28 days from the date they are provided to you, by us. We retain the right to change or withdraw any quotation at any time before you have accepted it.
5. Fundamentally, we, or independent contractors used, will do our/their best to complete the work and provide the goods and materials for the figure quoted. However, unforeseen circumstances may incur additional costs above the quoted figure. In this event, we will let you know immediately and explain the reasons for the additional costs and ask you to accept an amended quote to cover the additional costs before carrying out any additional work.
6. The price stated as The Total Due on the quotation, is the price payable by you. For any work carried out within the first hour, there will be a minimum charge of one hour.
7. All Domestic Customers will be invoiced immediately on completion of the work. The Total Due on the invoice is to be paid immediately. If the Total Due is not paid immediately, you may be required to pay an administration charge of £20.00 plus VAT. West Sussex Drains also reserves the right to apply a charge of 8% per annum, above the current base rate, to any overdue payments. In the event of non-payment, the fees from the Companies Collection Agency, will be added to the outstanding account.
7.1 All Commercial Customers will be invoiced on completion of the work. The Total Due on the invoice is strictly payable within 28 days of the date of the invoice, unless special arrangements have been made. If the Total Due is not paid within 28 days you will be required to pay an administration charge of £20.00 plus VAT. West Sussex Drains reserves the right to apply a charge of 8% per annum, above the current base rate, to any overdue payments. In the event of non-payment, the fees from the Companies Collection Agency, will be added to the outstanding account.
8. West Sussex Drains can take payment via credit card. Card payments may be pre-authorised, but we will not process any credit card or debit card payments until contracted work has been completed. If we do take payment by credit card, please note, we do not store credit card details nor do we share customer details with any 3rd parties.
9. Each cheque we present for payment that is dishonoured by your bank for whatever reason, will incur an administration charge of £20 payable by you to West Sussex Drains.
10. Please note that our standard business hours are 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday. Subject to availability, and at an additional charge, we may be able to work outside our standard business hours.
11. Unless we are responsible for it, we will not be liable for loss or damage to your property (including any cleaning needed) or any other type of loss. If access needs to be made to your property for a repair to be completed, we, or any independent contractor used, will fill any holes and level the surface but will not replace the original surface or construction. Redecoration or repair of damage needed after completion of our work is your responsibility, unless we, or any independent contractor used was negligent. If an independent contractor was negligent it is a matter between the independent contractor and yourself.
12. It is crucial that you let us, and any independent contractor used, know of any potential hazards or danger present to anyone carrying out work in or around your property. You must also ensure that there is a clear access to relevant drains and covers and provide us with access to mains electricity and water. If additional work or expense is incurred because you did not provide us with clear access, mains electricity and water, you may be charged for that additional work and/or expense incurred.
13. West Sussex Drains Ltd guarantees all parts and labour for 30 days from the date of completion of the work, provided that our guarantee will not apply where faults are caused wholly or in part by your (or any other person’s) misuse or neglect of those goods and materials, or due to fair wear and tear. Drain unblocking work is guaranteed for 30 days. Our guarantee is void if items such as wet wipes, nappies, sanitary items or any other foreign objects not designed for flushing into drain pipes is put into the drainage system after initial drain unblocking work, and from when the guarantee starts. The guarantee is also void if blockages have been created from defected pipes, damaged or cracked pipe work, poorly laid and installed pipes, subsided pipes or displaced joints. This guarantee becomes void if any work carried out by another contractor, not authorised by West Sussex Drains, has worked on the same subject between our initial callout and any subsequent callouts by us. Any work obtained by West Sussex Drains and carried out by an independent contractor will have the guarantee that contractor provides and we will not be responsible for the guarantee or work carried out. Any guarantee we offer does not affect your legal rights including those rights under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. The Citizens Advice Bureau or Trading Standards Department will provide information about your rights.
14. Our fixed fee applies to a single blockage or single drain run that is not classified as having sewer abuse issues. Sewer abuse includes issues such as (but not limited to) baby wipes and other “unflushables”, fat or building materials inside (for clarity please see the Southern Water definitions of sewer abuse) or defect pipe work such as damaged or cracked pipe work, subsided pipes, poorly laid pipes, displaced joints and root ingress. We also require a nearby access point; for the more problematic/difficult jobs, additional runs or secondary blockages on the same site we offer our hourly rate charged at half hour intervals after the first hour.
15. If there are circumstances beyond our control, we will not be responsible for our failure to meet any of our obligations under this agreement.
16. Listed buildings may need planning permission, and tenants are required to get their landlord’s permission to allow us to carry out any work. In both cases, it is your responsibility to obtain any required permission for the work to take place.
17. You are entitled to cancel an agreement. If you wish to cancel, you must cancel in writing and deliver personally or send by recorded delivery or registered post to West Sussex Drains Ltd at the address on the front of the quotation left behind by the technician. You may cancel at any time within 7 days, starting from the date the agreement is signed. If an independent contractor is used you must notify them in writing according to their cancellation rights policy. Notice of cancellation is recognised as being served as soon as it is posted or sent to us or if using email, from the date it is sent to West Sussex Drains.
18. We may cancel the agreement at any time by giving you written notice.
19. Please be aware that West Sussex Drains may check your details with fraud-prevention agencies and licensed credit reference agencies. A record of this search may be kept with the payment details from your account, and shared with other organisations. Any false or inaccurate information that is provided and leads to suspected fraud will be recorded. West Sussex Drains, and other organisations may search these records to:
a. Assist in making decisions about credit and credit-related services for you and other members of your household.
b. Aid decision-making on insurance proposals and insurance claims for you and other members of your household.
c. Manage your accounts or insurance policies, or to trace debtors, carry out debt recovery and for fraud prevention purposes.
d. Validate your identity to prevent money laundering, unless other satisfactory proof of your identity is provided.
e. Conduct statistical analysis about credit, insurance and fraud.
20. When on-site of the drainage problem, in some circumstances we may discover that your blockage is caused by failure of the public drain and/or sewers. In such circumstances, West Sussex Drains may reasonably reserve the right to apply a charge for their professional advice, having attended the site and diagnosing for you that the liability is not yours. In these situations, you will be advised by West Sussex Drains, or independent contractor, that it is the responsibility of the water company. You will be advised that you should then approach your water company for compensation.
The term “you”, “your”, “yourself” refers to an independent contractor who is secured work from West Sussex Drains Ltd.
“West Sussex Drains”, “us”, “we”, “our”, “ours” means West Sussex Drains Ltd. Registered in England No.10927427
At times, West Sussex Drains Ltd may pass work on to suitable independent contractors.
1. Interactions between yourself and individual(s) and/or organisations from work secured through West Sussex Drains (including payment and delivery of services or goods, and any other terms and conditions, warranties and representations associated with such business), are solely between you and such individual(s) and/or organisations.
2. You agree that West Sussex Drains shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as the result of any such dealings.
3. If there is a dispute between you and individual(s) and/or organisations through work secured through West Sussex Drains, you understand and agree that we are under no obligation to become involved.
4. If you have a dispute with one or more customers provided by us, you hereby release West Sussex Drains, its officers, employees, agents and successors in rights from claims, demands and damages (actual and consequential) of every kind or nature, known or unknown, suspected and unsuspected, disclosed and undisclosed, arising out of – or in any way related to – such disputes and/or our service.